Friday, April 14, 2006

The fallacy of expensive Sweden

So I've been here 4 days now, and as I suspected, and told a few people, everyone's expectations of Sweden being very pricey seem to be completely wrong. I qualify this with 2 caveats:

1. I agree that tax is High - but then of course I think this is a good thing cos it leads to high investment and a wel run country - ok this is a HUGE generalisation, but maybe you get the simple point.

2. alcohol and purchased in bars / restaurants is more expensive than London. Bearing in mind the exchange rate (VISA are currently doing it about 12.7 - this is the true tourist rate) - a beer costs 50 SEK = £3.94 and spirits are equivalent. I guess this is why everyone sees the country as like this - they come on holiday - they drink - they think its expensive. Its not like Spain for sure.....

that apart - eating out (food only) alcohol from the off licence, public transport, housing, cars, petrol, hotels, supermarket bills, CDs, mobile phones and calls - they're all the same or cheaper. (unless I have my rose tinted glasses on - that would be as opposed to my beer goggles of course)

Ok so this isn't exactly the RPI example contents but you get the point.

Am I complaining? No ;-)

Ok, so I accept there are a couple of expensive other things I've found - but you get the point.

That apart I still feel poor as I've taken a huge pay cut to come here ;-)

Categories:

No comments: