Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Kings of Leon Rock

So I've been sitting at home all evening playing computers (as I often do at the moment) - well after its dark anyway - cos as a Swede said to me the other day - its summer , you must leave work by 5pm if not earlier every day - and take beer in the sun - its compulsory....they really mean it as well.

some guys were betting me at lunch the other day that I'd stop smiling come winter - or at least come half way through winter as I'm known at work for being a bit too jolly I think. Strange that - especially as I was a bit miserable in June, but then maybe its just that I stand out against the quiet and restrained swedish men somewhat...anyway

so yeah - I'm here and I'm listening to the kings of leon (youth and yound manhood) and frankly its just absolutely f'ing excellent and has had me dancing about the room and acting like a bit of a tit generally....nice!

On Wednesday i went to a party in central stockholm, and got absolutely ratted with a load of people from work. It was a pleasant evening indeed, I spoke alot of very bad swedish, we drunk alot of cocktails and I made a few friends.


It was a classic case of planning to leave at a reasonable hour, getting to the front door and then being confronted by drunken swedes saying "one for the road" - in swedish of course - and 2 hours and a bottle of whiskey later, well you know how it goes....

I can;t really remember how I got home, but I made it all in one piece, so alls well that ends well. It was good to be out and about and being social, although frightening difficult at times doing the whole swedish thing. fortunately of course we can alwasy break into english when anything gets tough, but I've been really trying generally.

Often at lunchtimes now, I have to speak swedish with my colleagues. They find it entertaining (sometimes) and I get some good practice.

Sarah has started a new swedish course this week, but I'm unable to because they're all during the day in the summer months. My next one ought to start in september hopefully.

anyway - beyond that my focus is about being excited with an imminent return to the Uk for toms stag at the the end of the month

so roll on croydon fun.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Familiar sentiments here. It's good fun just to bumble along ion another language, and it helps if you and everyone else is pissed as well. This is known as "progress". L:ooking forward to the stag too.